2.20.15 a little Torah from Morocco

A Shabbat of contradictions:

Hello from Marrakesh.

I have been traveling with my wonderful husband and dear friends for a week now.  We began our journey in Lisbon and then made our way to Morocco.  In the past six days we have been to Casablanca, Fez and Marrakesh.

I feel very fortunate, really blessed to be able to be on this trip.  I am grateful for the love of my partner and friends.  I feel very full from this entire opportunity.  The sounds, sites and smells have reawakened all of my senses.  I walk the day in awe and wonder.  

Highlights include;  visiting the masque in Casablanca (approximate cost 3.2 BILLION dollars (paid for by the people, it can hold over 25,000 people), staying in different Riads (essentially B&B's only better!), eating delicious tagine, drinking gallons of mint tea, getting lost (a lot!), "the Jewish quarters", a homeless woman nursing her infant on the filthy street, litter EVERYWHERE, walking through endless alleyways in the "Medina" (hoping to find the desired destination),  dodging traffic (apparently stop lights and lanes are purely optional), hijab, pictures of the King EVERYWHERE, shanty towns and beautiful lush green stretches of land.  The most complex was visiting the tannery in Fez. 

Imagine 100 large clay vats filled with liquid. These vats are situated in what could also be configured into a shared garden or common space between residences.  We have climbed five flights of stairs and are looking down onto the vats.  They contain either white, grey, brown or red liquid.  Pigeon poop, for softening and horse urine for cleaning (ironic) are two of the primary ingredients in these vats.  There are thousands of animal skins being stirred in the vats, thousands more sitting in piles and thousands more hanging to dry.  There is a stench that is (beyond) dreadful.  Upon entering, we were given fresh mint to hold under our noses.  I quickly appreciated why. Men stand waist high in the vats - some with gloves and others bare handed.  Homes surround these vats.  Hundreds of people call this their back yard.  The building is filled with gorgeous, soft, hand made leather goods - bags, jackets, shoes and belts.

I like to think of myself as "someone who travels".  Along the way, I have seen many interesting places, met incredible people and confronted various degrees of challenges.  Morocco has not disappointed!  This has been an incredible experience.  Morocco is one of the most intense places I have ever visited.  It's exciting and energizing, hyper stimulating and exhausting, depressing and sad. I find myself sitting in a humungous bowl of contradictions.  

I am having a lot of fun!  I am staying in lovely places, eating amazing food and seeing incredible things.  And...

the intense poverty, sexism and filth weigh me down.  I'm not sure what to do. I am left with questions.  Here are just a few;
1.  How is it possible that after so much time, humanity is still dealing with the same problems?
2.  What does "love your neighbor as yourself" really mean?
3.  As Jews, we are taught to care for the stranger because "You were strangers in a strange land".
4.  What's my responsibility to the "other"?  
5.  Is being kind enough?  (And does this mean all the time, no matter the circumstances?)
6.  How does all of this, any of this effect my understanding of and my relationship to the existence of a Higher Power?

This Shabbat, I will pray for some kind of answer, some understanding, some clarity.

Mekor Ha'Chayiim, Source of Life, as we move into Shabbat, may we have the opportunity to reflect on all the bounty in our lives.  May we turn to the places that are broken so that we may be open to asking questions.  May these questions bring us closer to our ability to help and heal.

Shabbat shalom u'mevorach,
Laurie








No comments:

Post a Comment