3.20.15 Israel

This Torah is dedicated to my dear friend and teacher, AP who pushed me when I needed pushing.  I am grateful.

"What happens when Israel is just like every other other country?"  

We are starting a new Book in the Torah, the third, Va'Yikra/Leviticus.  This week's parasha, Va'Yikra/Leviticus 1:1-5:26, is important (aren't they all) and should be read.  So please, go and read it.  

In light of the elections in Israel, I feel it is important for that to be the focus of my comments this week.

Regardless of what side of the spectrum we fall, many people felt a sense of shock and surprise by Bibi's emphatic statement that there will not be a Palestinian State when/if he is elected Prime Minister.  Many people felt a sense of shock and surprise by the results of the election.  He won!  Assuming he can put together a coalition, Bibi Netanyahu will serve a fourth term as Prime Minister of Israel.

Did he mean what he said?  Was it just a political maneuver to gain more votes?  What about the fact that he said the exact opposite a few years ago?

Shortly after he won, at least according to some reports this morning (EST), Bibi recanted his statement claiming he was misunderstood, he didn't mean what he said.

Did Bibi mean what he said?  Is he a liar?  Maybe neither is true.  Perhaps, he is just like other politicians around the world, who say whatever they need to say in order to get elected?  Perhaps he is just like other politicians, who, once they are elected recant what they said? 

I have to admit that, before Bibi announced this "truth", I was one of the people who was not only hoping a new Prime Minister would be elected, I actually thought this was going to happen.  But, I didn't think anyone besides Bibi would be able to put a coalition together.  However, once I heard him say that there would never be a Palestinian State, my hopes were squashed. 

It seemed obvious.  The votes were coming in and it wasn't certain that he would win.  He panicked.  He did what many other politicians have done before (and will again) - he made a provocative, extreme (perhaps even absurd) statement to get the votes he needed.  

Guess what?  His strategy worked!  He won!  

I know many are outraged by what Bibi said and I am certainly not happy.  But, IN MY OPINION, his statement was (simply - although the situation is anything but simple) a reflection of his actions prior to this election. I don't believe Bibi's actions over the years have demonstrated a desire or willingness towards achieving an agreement that would include establishing a Palestinian State.  

Saying something just to get elected, is something I have actually come to expect from American politicians.  Campaigns and elections have gotten out of control in terms of the level of nastiness that is demonstrated and tolerated.  It's hard, really hard to know who is telling the truth and who is saying whatever he/she needs to say in order to get the votes.  In the end, someone wins.  As time passes, we learn that sometimes the candidate meant what he/she said, and other times he/she take it back or modify. It's often the case that regardless, the situation doesn't seem to change or improve.  

What happens when Israel isn't different?

I am deeply passionate about Israel.  My relationship feels personal and it hurts when I don't feel I can be proud of what is happening in a place that I believe gives me breath.  I don't want Israel to be like other countries.  I don't want Israeli politicians to be like other politicians.  I want Israel to be different.  I want Israel to be special.  I want other countries to look at Israel and want to imitate the leadership.  I want Israel to operate from a place of deep Torah and I want the government to lead with Torah - with justice, with compassion, with a commitment to the other because throughout history, we were the "other" and we were not treated with justice or compassion. 

Many are outraged and trying to figure out how to respond.  Many are celebrating.  I hope wherever we stand, we will talk.  I hope we will engage in a dialogue that can hold different opinions and different perspectives.  

Mekor Ha'Chayiim, Source of Life, as we move into Shabbat, let us remember the power of leading and living with compassion for ourselves and the other.  We don't know the future.  But, we can appreciate that it will be a better one if our actions include compassion.

Shabbat shalom u'mevorach,
Laurie









No comments:

Post a Comment