4.3.15 A little Passover

"...forever, compassion will build", "...olam chesed yibaneh", "עוֹלָם, חֶסֶד יִבָּנֶה..."(psalm 89:3)

The Haggadah/story of Passover teaches (over and over again) that because we were strangers in the land of Egypt, because we were slaves, because we were oppressed and because we were liberated and are now a free people WE MUST SEE OURSELVES AS IF WE WERE ACTUALLY THE ONES WHO WERE ENSLAVED and then WE MUST SEE OURSELVES AS IF WE WERE ACTUALLY THE ONES WHO WERE LIBERATED and then WE MUST HELP FREE THE STRANGER AND THE OPPRESSED AMONG US.

It's not optional.  It's our obligation and our responsibility to bring liberation to those who are oppressed.  

But, is this really possible?

Passover is my favorite holiday and it's also my most challenging.  It's my favorite because I am always with family and dear friends and everyone sitting at the seder table is their because there isn't anywhere else they want to be.  It's my favorite because people seem a little more open, less guarded and even a little vulnerable.  As a result, we are able to have interesting, important and thought provoking discussions.  It's my favorite because I LOVE matzah!  

But, it's also my most challenging holiday because I try hard to acknowledge and address the things that keep me weighted down and prevent me from being truly me. I think about the times I was jealous, resentful, judgmental and harsh. I think about the times when my confidence was weak and my fears were leading.  I reflect on all of this and then decide on a course of action. It's a "middle of the year" Yom Kippur (Passover actually falls in the middle of the Jewish year).

But, the biggest reason Passover is my most challenging holiday is because I never feel like I am able to fulfill the obligation of seeing myself as someone who was actually enslaved.  I never feel like I am able to fulfill the obligation of bringing freedom to those who are currently enslaved.  

Sex trafficking, child slavery, poverty, discrimination, mass incarceration, racism, drugs, rape, unfair labor conditions, murder, war, and...

The suffering in the world is great.  The challenges are huge. 

And The Haggadah/story of Passover teaches (over and over again) that because we were strangers in the land of Egypt, because we were slaves, because we were oppressed and because we were liberated and are now a free people WE MUST SEE OURSELVES AS IF WE WERE ACTUALLY THE ONES WHO WERE ENSLAVED and then WE MUST SEE OURSELVES AS IF WE WERE ACTUALLY THE ONES WHO WERE LIBERATED and then WE MUST HELP FREE THE STRANGER AND THE OPPRESSED AMONG US.

What can I do? 

"...forever, compassion will build", "...olam chesed yibaneh", "עוֹלָם, חֶסֶד יִבָּנֶה..."(psalm 89:3)

Compassion, kindness - this is what I can do.  This is what everyone can do.  Regardless of our ability, intelligence, gender, profession, economic status, religion or belief we can show compassion and kindness.  Regardless of our fears, struggles or challenges we can show compassion and kindness.    

"...forever, compassion will build", "...olam chesed yibaneh", "עוֹלָם, חֶסֶד יִבָּנֶה..."(psalm 89:3)

Mekor Ha'Chayiim, Source of life, as we move into Shabbat and Pesach, may we be mindful of the bounty in our lives.  May we demonstrate our gratitude to those we love.  May we live and lead with compassion and kindness so that others may draw closer to freedom.

May your seder be nourishing and meaningful.

Shabbat shalom u'mevorach and chag sameach,
Laurie





No comments:

Post a Comment