7.31

This Shabbat our hearts our heavy.  Our challah won't taste as sweet and our Shabbat candles won't shine as brightly as a result of the brutal stabbings that took place during the Israeli Pride parade.

"Truth"
This was the theme of the day at "Kids4Peace" camp.  Everyone was asked to share his/her truth throughout the day.  And everyone was asked to receive truth without judgement and with an open heart.
Here's what truth sounds like from a group of 13 year old Christians, Muslims and Jews:
"My family's house has been sprayed with "stinky" water by Israeli soldiers." (Palestinian boy)
"My family was not accepted by the community in Texas because my father is Cuban and my mother is Jewish.  Eventually we moved." (Jewish American girl)
"People make fun of me because of the way I dress." (Jewish American girl)
"I am embarrassed because I know Israelis are staring at Arabs in the mall in a way that says "you don't belong here."(Jewish Israeli boy)
"My community gives me a very hard time because I go to a mixed school." (Palestinian and Jewish Israeli boy)
"I don't have many friends, well real friends because I am weird."(American Jewish boy)
"People think I am a Japanese tourist."(Israeli girl)

The conversation was hard.  The kids held each other in their vulnerability and in their pain.  Some tears were shed and spontaneous hugs were shared.  

And what do you think happened after all of these truths (and many others) were shared?  The kids went and swam in the lake, played basketball and "Four Square" (still a fanatasticly fun game 40 years later).

"Holy Holy Holy" - a level of connection and closeness was achieved and a bond forged that could potentially last a lifetime.  And maybe, just maybe, relationship between "others" moves from impossible to possible.

I continue to be in awe of these incredible teens.  It's a privilege to be included in their journey.

Mekor HaChayiim (Source of Life), as we move into Shabbat may we have the courage to speak our truth and stand up for truth.  May we do what we can to honor the "other" and move impossible to possible.

Shabbat shalom u'mevorach,
Laurie


No comments:

Post a Comment