10.16.15 Heartbreak and Hope

The first parasha/portion in the Torah, B'reishit, introduces us to God, "The Creator".  This parasha, the second parasha introduces us to God, "The Destroyer".  Apparently, things, meaning human beings, didn't turn out quite how God planned, or more accurately, intended.  The people, all of the people are behaving in very deviant ways.  Everyone is awful! Everyone, except Noah (and his family - innocent by association).  Seems like God is taken off guard by all of this and decides that the world must be destroyed.  Everything in the world that God just created (only one parasha ago) must be completely destroyed.  Everything and everyone, except Noah, his family and animals.  Most of us learned the song "Rise and Shine and Give God Your Glory Glory" where we sang loud and proud, "the animals, they came on, they came on by twosies twosies...elephants and kangaroosies roosie children of the Lord".  It was one of my Phillips family road trip favorites.  We think there were TWO of every animal on the ark with Noah and his family.  But, in fact there were lots more.  7 pairs of every kosher animal and fewer pairs of non-kosher animals. This is really bizarre considering that the laws of kashrut didn't exist yet. But, I digress.  I am way off track now.

Here's me getting back on track.

Humanity cannot get it together.  They are using their free will to lean into evil instead of good.  God cannot take it anymore and tells Noah (because he was "righteous in his generation" - kind of a backhanded compliment) to build an ark and then load it up with his family and the animals.  Noah does exactly what God tells him to do. The next thing we know, there is a terrible flood.  It lasts 40 nights and 40 days. During this time, the entire world is destroyed.  It's almost back to the way things began in the first parasha.  Or at least that's what we think happened. Turns out that once the waters recede the trees regrow, the ocean is replenished and life resumes - only with a lot fewer people.  God says that this will never happen again.  Never again will God destroy the world (with a flood).

Now, I don't know if it is ironic, a coincidence or just a harsh reality check that we are reading Parashat Noah.   After the flood, once Noah and his family and all of the animals are on dry land.  God says that this will never happen again.  Never again will God destroy the world (with a flood).  God kept that promise.  However, it seems like humanity has taken the lead in this regard.  

Every morning I listen to NPR (Yes. I am a sustaining member and you should be too.).  Every morning, I get ready for my day listening to reports of violence, cruelty and hate all over the world.  There are too many places around the world where women, children, men, old and young are being murdered, tortured and raped.  There are too many places around the world where people are being denied the ability to live freely and safely with enough food and water, protective shelter and education.  There are too many places around the world where human life is not valued.  This week Israel is one of those places.  It is heartbreaking to hear about the suffering of any people.  It is heartbreaking because it is wrong and because I feel totally helpless.  When I hear about violence and suffering from Israel, my heartbreak is doubled.  I often say, and truly believe that my while my body was born in the United States, my neshamah, my soul, my essence, was born in Israel.  It's where I feel my fullest.  It's where I breathe deepest.  It's where I am my truest self.  It's impossible to articulate why.  It's just how I feel.  Perhaps it's because when I was eleven and living on Kibbutz, I had my first kiss with Avshalom (lit. "father of peace").  Perhaps because I love the Hebrew language.  You don't just speak Hebrew with your mouth, you use your entire body.   Perhaps because at the same time people are pushing you out of their way, they are saying 'Shabbat Shalom'. Perhaps because it's where watermelon is always perfectly ripe and there is a bakery on every corner.

So, when a week like this last one in Jerusalem happens, my heartbreak is doubled.  

The violence is unbelievable.  I literally cannot believe what I am hearing and what I am reading.  I just cannot believe what is happening.  I cannot believe it is still happening.  What will it take for it to end?  What will it take for people to finally be able to live without fear?

This Torah is not about convincing anyone to choose a side or convincing anyone to think that one side is right and another side is wrong.  It's not even about saying that there are two sides  

This week's Torah is about calling out for the violence and hatred to end.  WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG? Really, why can't we all just get along?  What is it that makes people hate each other so much?  So much that they are willing to cause deep harm to others?  So much that they are willing to murder others?  So much that they are willing to die themselves?  What is it that makes people hate each other so much?  Is it jealousy? Greed? Power?  Brainwashing?

I have no idea.

I have absolutely no idea.

As I stated above, this is not a piece about choosing a side.  This Torah is a plea to honor the other and to show compassion for all living beings.  It is a call to challenge ourselves to put aside whatever "facts" and assumptions, whatever "truths" we might have, and put human life in front.  People deserve to live with dignity and without fear.  This Torah is a call to say ENOUGH!  We won't tolerate violence or hatred - over there - or here.  

Maybe, just maybe, if each of us does one thing to stop violence and inequality, to prevent injustice and hatred, we can get a little closer to that first story of the Torah - the story of the Garden of Eden, the Garden of beauty and perfection.

Every morning I listen to NPR and every morning on my walk to the subway I pass by a church (although I can't really call it a house of God) called "Atlah".  There is a double sided sign in the private courtyard.  Each side is filled with the most hateful statements against Obama, homosexuals, "white gentrifiers" and more.  It seems the goal is to create one statement using as many derogatory terms as possible.  People walk by shocked and horrified.  Tourists take pictures.  For nearly a year I have walked by that sign and although I too am totally outraged, have said nothing.  Enough!  I am going to knock on the door of the church and request that the racist, sexist, homophobic anti President remarks be removed.  

What will you do?  

Here's a reason to hope that "things" can change (although way too slowly).

Written by Adam Cohen (whom I have the privilege and pleasure of calling my step-son).  Thank you Isaac Simon for providing this opportunity and for providing food and dignity to the homeless every week.  


Recently I went on a food run to help the homeless. At first I wasn't too excited to be apart of the run. Sure it is great to help your community but sometimes it can be pretty tedious. I've helped second graders with reading and math, but it was never too enjoyable. However, when I gave out food and clothes to homeless men and women. I felt really happy that I tagged a long for the ride. It is amazing how much we take for granted everyday. I saw a homeless man with no socks, just crocs, and plastic bags under his feet. Something such as small as a pair of socks could make that man's life significantly better. Giving out food made me realize how hungry homeless people are. Many tried to get extra food, and clothes. I accidentally left a box of milk for a couple of minutes and by the time I came back to see it nearly empty. This made me feel bad for these people, but I am glad that I accidentally left the milk out. We were almost done with the run anyway. All in all it is very rewarding to help the homeless, and it is mutually beneficial to both parties, especially to the homeless of course.

What will you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment