11.26.15 A little Thanksgiving

"Name It"

In Jewish pre-schools and Tot Shabbat programs across the country,  "Thank you God", by Doug Cotler, is a number one hit.  It goes like this:

Baruch Atah Adonai...thank you God.

Thank you for the candles.
Thank you for the wine.
Thank you for the challah,
It always tastes so fine.

Thank you for my mommy.
Thank you for my dad.
They love me when I'm happy.
They love me when I'm sad.

Baruch Atah Adonai,...thank you God.

There is a lot that's wrong with this song.  It's out of date - not every child has a mommy or a daddy or even two parents.  It's over-sung and frankly a little simplistic.  There's a lot that's wrong with this song.  And, there is a lot that's right.  It is simple.  The song names various things for which the singer is thankful; Shabbat and unconditional love. Those are definitely things for which to be thankful.

Whatever gripes I might have with the "rabbis" (they were sexist and exclusionary), they were geniuses around the important of emphasizing gratitude.  Not only are we supposed to say "thank you" to God every day for a multitude of things including restoring our soul, destroying our enemies, healing the sick and giving sight to the blind, we also have Shabbat.  We have SHABBAT, a 25 hour period, 25 hours every week to sit in gratitude.  

Most of us don't take full or even any advantage of this truly remarkable gift.  We don't consider ourselves "religious" (enough).  We don't believe in God.  We are too busy.  We take "it" all for granted.  There are infinite reasons.

But, every year, we celebrate the American holiday of Thanksgiving.  The holiday that is designed supposed to put us in position to name all of the "things" for which we are grateful.  But or and, we don't take full advantage of this either.  We ate too much at dinner and feel asleep.  We are too busy making our lists for Black Friday shopping extravaganzas.  We take "it" all for granted.  There are infinite reasons.



The rabbis weren't afraid or apologetic about their faith and connection to a higher power.  Maybe they really believed it or maybe they wanted it to be true.  Either way, I want some of that fervor.  I want to drink in that same liquid love that enables a deeper, stronger and more palpable affirmation and connection to God.

The rabbis (those same rabbis who were sexist and exclusionary) teach, Eizeh who chacham?  Halomed mikol adam.  "Who is wise?  The one who learns from everyone." (Pirke Avot, "Ethics of Our Fathers")

This Thanksgiving, and throughout this Shabbat let's learn from the toddlers, tap into our inner two year old and "name it".  Let's spend our time together naming that for which we are grateful.  How far can we go?  How deeply are we prepared to examine the various layers of our lives?   This doesn't remove all of the real pain or loss we experience as part of moving through life, but naming "it" might soften the acuteness.  We have both.  Are we willing to consider or be even bolder and connect our gratitude to a higher Being, something larger, perhaps even Divine?  

Let's pretend, let's assume, just for a while, that we are religious, we believe in something outside of ourselves (God?), and we aren't too busy.  

Baruch Atah Adonai...thank you God.

Thank you for my breath.
Thank you for my family.
Thank you for my friends.
They are always there for me.

Thank you for my laugh.
Thank you for my tears.
Thank you for my strength.
It's helps me embrace my fears.

Baruch Atah Adonai...thank you God.

I am thankful for*...

my capacity to love and be loved
my ability to heal and help heal others
the privilege of being a rabbi
too many people to name
my privilege
food
water
shelter
the ability to cry and laugh
safety
guts
kindness
music
prayer
humor
quiet
compassion
ability to adjust
the ability to feel
the ability to feel deeply
apologize
read
write
start again - start anew
create
the ability to get angry
the ability to forgive
the ability to walk
the ability to take care of my needs
the ability to work on myself
travel
all of you
honesty

*Listed in the order they came into my mind and not by importance.

Your turn.

With tremendous gratitude, friendship and love,
Laurie


No comments:

Post a Comment