3.11.16 "Be An Elevator"

HOLIDAY ALERT: Purim is coming!

We are in the month of Adar.  It's the party month - the month to be silly - the month to also reflect on our deep gratitude for being able to live freely and practice our religion freely.  It's also the month to think about what we reveal and what we keep hidden?  

Purim is March 23rd.  While Beineinu is not having a separate Purim celebration this year (we are already planning one for next year), there are great events happening around NYC on the 23rd and the weekend of the 18th.  

Check out the Manhattan JCC, 92nd St Y, 14th St Y and most UWS synagogues.  You can also Google "NYC Purim Celebrations".  Be in touch with any questions.

Directly From Torah (Indirectly):
In memory(and in honor) of my mom, Judith Phillips.

In July of 2003, my dear friend, Rabbi Meir Feldman invited me to Friday night services at B'nai Jeshurun (NYC).  It was a transformational!  I was blown away by the music and the Torah. The prayer and the teaching were deep and meaningful.  It felt as though the entire place had been lifted up, elevated to a higher place, a holy place.  I had felt similarly davening(praying) in Israel my first year in rabbinical school.  But, I was in Orthodox synagogues and had to sit in the women's section.  All of the energy was on the other side - the men's side.  (Today there are wonderful egalitarian options in Israel.) At B'nai Jeshurun, we all sat together.  Thirteen years later, I continue to be elevated.  

Last Friday, I attended Shabbat services at B'nai Jeshurun.  I sit somewhere in the middle, take a few moments to get comfortable, close my eyes and take a few deep breaths.  The music starts and the melodies gently pull my chest open and I feel my heart begin to expand.  I am lifted up by the words in the siddur(prayer book).

Rabbi Roly Matalon, (my teacher and mentor) stands to share some words of Torah.  He raises his siddur and starts talking about the purpose of the words inside.  Here's what I heard; The prayers are sacred and their sacredness is elevated when we speak them.   We have this great privilege whenever we pray.  But, it's not enough.  We cannot leave these holy words in our chosen place of worship.  We need to bring these sacred and holy words to the street.  We need to elevate the dialogue outside the walls of the synagogue. 

Currently in the Torah, the Israelites are busy building the Mishkan(tabernacle) - moveable Temple.  They are making breast plates and special garments for the Priests. They are generously giving over their gold and silver, precious stones, yarns and oils.  The purpose of all of this, is to elevate the space where God will be worshiped. 

It's time for us to be elevators.  We have the privilege and the responsibility to raise up the level of discourse and transform regular into holy.  We have the power to do this - we just need to choose to do it.  Ironically, many of the homeless people I encounter, use sacred language offering me blessings (even when I don't have food or money to offer them) including;  "May you be blessed."  "Have a blessed day."  "God bless."  It's time for us to be elevators.

My mother, z"l, was also an elevator.  She was strong, dedicated and insisted on truth (except for school science projects).  My mother challenged what was wrong or even mediocre.  She didn't have patience for arrogance or anything fake.  She prioritized the right things and gave her all to those she loved and even those who were strangers.  She raised the regular to holy and transformed the mundane into sacred.  I am forever grateful and blessed.  

Mekor Ha'Chayiim, Source of Life, every Shabbat we have the opportunity to reflect and renew.  Every Shabbat we can celebrate the majesty of this world.  Every Shabbat we create sacred space.  May we extend our Shabbat holiness into the week by using sacred language as we move through our day.

May you be blessed and may your name be blessed.

Shabbat shalom,
Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment