1.27.17 THREE A DAY

Our Torah opens with the story of creation.  In fact there are 2.  The main difference between them is that in the first story human beings are created last and in the 2nd, human beings are created first.   

In both, God places the obligation of caring for all creations and continuing creation on humanity.  God starts the process and then gives us the responsiblity and privilege for the rest of time.  God moves form the center to margins, making room for the tremendous capacity human beings have acquired. From then, until forever, we are charged with the weight of being the caretakers of the other - all other.

"Lo alecha ha'melacha ligmor..."  Our tradition teaches that we are not obligated to fix everything, cure anything or care for everyone.  But, we are not permitted to abstain from doing something to fix, cure and care.

There are so many things in our world and in our country that are broken.  Things are starting to feel more and more uncertain around immigrant rights, a woman's right to choose, affordable health care, protection of our environment and the ability to provide complete information and treatment around HIV (just to name a few). Every day, incidents of hate are occuring throughout the country and aroud the world.  Regardless or personal beliefs and political leanings, we cannot accept acts of hatred and violence towards anyone.  

Today is International Holocaust Rememberence day.  We know the horror, the trauma and the devastation of 10 million people; 6 million Jews and 4 million others who were deemed less than human because of their physical limitations, sexual ortientation and religion.  We know the consequences when people stand by and do nothing; millions and millions and millions of people are murdered.  May their memories be forever a blessing through the stories we tell and the lives we live.  

I want to do something.  I want to make a difference.  I often feel helpless and overwhelmed.  I sign petitions, I call my senator, I contribute to organizations that represent my values and my beliefs and I volunteer.  It doesn't seem like enough.

In our tradition, we "halacha", literally "the path".  These are all of the laws, many of which have to do with how we treat the other and our responsiblity to the other.   If we follow these laws then we will lead a life worthy of God's love.  That line works for some but not most. I believe that being mindful of our actions and taking responsibility for the other, treating the other the way we want to be treated is holy living.  And, I believe that any time we are engaging in kindness and love for ourselves and the other, we are bringing forth the presence of that which is Divine - holy sparks flying.  

Some follow the custom of praying three times a day (it's a mitzvah). Most of us don't.  I don't.  I try to spend time every day directing attention and energy towards something mindful (through meditation and silence) but I don't literally pray three times a day.  I just don't.

However, I do believe there is deep wisdom in this mitzvah of praying three times a day. I do believe in the spiritual power of habit and repetition.  


Here's the challenge I am taking on (for the next three months at least)
and I invite you to join me:

First: 3 ACTS OF INTENTIONAL AND REAL KINDNESS EVERY DAY(it's also a mitzvah)
-at least two for people I don't know
-holding the door and saying "hello" count, but let's push ourselves to go deeper

Second: STAND UP - SAY SOMETHING 
-like the subway ad says; "IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING"

Something will happen.  There will be impact.  There has to be.

Shabbat shalom!
In blessing and friendship,
Laurie

SUNDAY, JANUARY 29, 3 P.M. to 8 P.M.
AN INTERNATIONAL TRIBUTE TO ELIE WIESEL: 

A COMMUNITY READING OF NIGHT
details at:  mjhnyc.org







No comments:

Post a Comment